In some cases, it is necessary to change the name of the "Users" folder in the Windows 7 operating system. The existing limitations in the operating system will not allow setting any name that the user wants. The only solution is to replace the "Users" folder name with "Users". This helps in solving problems with the installation of some programs. Below will be considered step by step instructions for changing the name.
The manipulations carried out will affect the display of folders in the Windows operating system. If erroneous changes were made or the user did not follow the entire instruction step by step and made certain mistakes in the process, in the future, you may encounter certain problems in the operation of the operating system.
All actions you perform at your own peril and risk. If there is a possibility of losing necessary files and important information, it is advisable to create a backup or a system restore point before making any changes. In which case, this will help restore Windows 7 to a working state while preserving the user's personal files.
How to change the name of the "Users" folder through editing "Desktop"?
A file called "desktop" is the main system file in any operating system, including Win 7. This file encrypts information about OS localization, basic parameters, settings, etc. By default, the file is hidden and is not available to the user. This is done in order to exclude accidental editing or deletion, which will affect the operation of the system.
We need to access this file in order to be able to change the name in the Users folder. Before starting any manipulations, it is necessary to make settings that will make all hidden files on the computer visible. For this:
- Click on the start menu. In the search bar, enter "Show hidden files and folders" to go directly to the corresponding section in the "Control Panel".
- In the window that opens, at the top, go to the "View" tab.
- In the Advanced Options window, look for Hidden Files and Folders. Place a marker next to the item "Show". Click on the "Apply" and "OK" button.
Another way to go to the "Show hidden files" section is through "Explorer". Open it, in the upper left corner, click on "Organize", in the menu that opens, select "Folder Options".
As soon as all hidden files in the system are displayed, you can proceed to directly change the folder name.
How to replace the folder name "Users":
- From the Start menu go to the Computer section. Open the hard drive where the operating system is installed. Next, open the "Users" folder by double-clicking on it with the left mouse button.
- Find the "desktop" file, open it with notepad. To do this, right-click on the file, select "Open with" in the context menu, and then select the "Notepad" program.
- Find the line "LocalizedResourceName" and delete it. Save your notebook.
You must restart your computer for the changes to take effect. The Users folder will be named Users after reboot.